New York’s Empire State Building to Project Endangered Species Light Show
August 1st, 2015
The Empire State Building will unveil a new light show to draw attention toward endangered species.
Snow leopards, manta rays, lions, snakes, birds and sea mammals are set to be projected on Saturday, August 1st onto a space covering 33 floors from 9PM to 12AM, the New York Times reported.
“We’re very excited to unveil a new kind of lighting at the Empire State Building! On Saturday night, the Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS) will project a looping video of endangered animals onto the south side of the Empire State Building to draw attention to their rapid extinction,” reads the historic building’s Facebook page.
The project is a collaboration with filmmaker Louie Psihoyos and Travis Threlkel’s Obscura Digital, who produce the light show to create a conversation around animals facing extinction.
In light of an American dentist who recently poached Cecil the lion, a famous animal in one of Zimbabwe's national parks, this initiative is very timely.
Empire State Building/Facebook ... Anthony Malkin, chief executive of Empire State Realty Trust, told the Times that incorporating art into the urban scene to make a social statement is “wonderful.”
The light show will reportedly cost more than $1 million and will be mostly covered by the philanthropic foundation.
“The whole planet could be on the same page for once; anybody with a cellphone or computer would know about it. To create a tipping point, you probably need 10% of the population … If you hit that number, then you have a chance of moving the needle,” Mr Psihoyos told the paper.
Kudos to Louis Psihoyos, founder of Oceanic Preservation Society and Anthony Malkin, Chief Executive Of Empire State Realty Trust for raising awareness of this very important issue.
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
- Halstead Property 2Q14 Residential Manhattan Market Report
- Empty Nesters are making the move to Manhattan
- Modern architecture vs WWII architecture on Sutton Place
- Historic Brill Building: soon to hit market
- JOIN Halstead‚ AND ROSS ELLIS TO HELP STOMP OUT BULLYING
- New York Summer Restaurant Week: 20 days of dining July 16th to August 10th
- New York, New York! It's a dog's city!
- Dear Santa from a Savvy NYC Real Estate Agent, Child Advocate and Philanthropist
- BROOKE ASTOR'S APARTMENT SELLS HALF OF THE $46M ASKING PRICE
- Manhattan's Most Expensive Megamansion No Longer The Most Expensive
- Renting an Apartment in Manhattan
- The High Line: the second phase
- Manhattan's famed Sloane mansion going on the auction block
- 3 of top 10 most expensive U.S. homes sold in Manhattan
- NYS real estate agency law: Have you heard about the changes?
- First time home buyers: How to make an offer
- Real estate agents: Ask to see their license so you know they are professional and legitimate
- New York Luxury Real-Estate
- A Tour of Just a Few of Manhattan's Neighborhoods
- Big Apple buyers return to snatch up prime Manhattan real estate